As a Volunteer Director, of course I want you and everyone in my community to volunteer for my program…all of the time. But I also want volunteers who are passionate about the work and find their service experience to be positive and rewarding. While ongoing volunteer engagements are a great fit for many organizations and the incredible volunteers that serve them, this scenario does not work well for everyone. For those of us with limited time and varied interests, one-time events for a variety of organizations accommodate our interests as volunteers, maximize our service experience, and encourage us to volunteer in the future. Finding the right opportunities require you to find YOUR passion!
There are a myriad of organizations that need volunteers to provide a much needed service to the community. But what opportunities are right for you? Perhaps you are passionate about animals, children, elderly, the blind, developmentally disabled children and adults, cancer patients, low income residents, nature and the environment, health and wellness, sports, fighting crime, improving blight in your neighborhood, education, or other issue. Find YOUR passion! What issues are you interested in? Find what organizations in your community are serving these interests, and ask about volunteer opportunities. Most of the time, volunteer recruitment information is widely available online and posted on their websites.
Another option is to join forces with a service club, neighborhood association, faith-based group, or other volunteer organization in your community that is already engaged in service activities. Find YOUR passion, and check in with these groups to see how they are making a difference. It is likely that an organization in your neighborhood is already engaged in service that YOU are passionate about, and is a great fit for you to make a difference within your interests and schedule.
For example, here are local opportunities that are literally, at my door step, and I am making a difference in my community on my schedule:
- My faith-based group supports three local non-profits that include two women and children’s shelters and a cancer center through donations and volunteer service every Monday
- A local bike trail clean up event takes place on a Saturday morning
- One of my favorite non-profit organizations provides care for foster children is in need of volunteers with a skillset I have to support their operations, and I can do this at home
- My family delivers vaccinations to various veterinarian clinics participating in a FREE annual Spay Day event
- I live near an assisted living facility for the elderly where my toddler and I can stop in after a morning walk to visit with residents for 15 to 20 minutes
- A running race relied on volunteers to support the event that raised funds for disabled veterans
These are simply a few of endless opportunities to make a difference in your community. Find YOUR Passion! Leave a comment. Make YOUR difference in the world…Volunteer!